Tuesday 29 April 2008

Why am I a carer ?

Well I could possibly be a caree rather than a carer. I'm old and have chronic conditions. My OH is undoubtedly in greater need. I recognise that.

The point is that there is no joint assessment of medical need for both carers and carees. Nobody knows if I am remotely capable of caring for her. Apparently. I have no obvious qualifications for the job. I am not a trained nurse and I do have a back condition, as well as more obviously life-threatening conditions. Of course, our GPs, etc., could find out, but I know for a fact that they don't want to. Actually, they already know, but are in denial. Facing up to the reality of the situation would mean that they would have to do something about it.

It's potentially the same for everyone. If it's not you now, it could be in the future.

We campaign. There aren't many of us yet, but we are here.

www.carerwatch.com

No comments: