Thursday 4 September 2008

A democracy movement for carers ?

Carers are in particularly stressful situations. It is not surprising that the various charity forums and independent carer-led groups in which they participate are sometimes disputatious, full of anxiety and anger. And yet we do have things to talk about together.

I would like to suggest that carers would benefit from learning the discipline of democracy. A carers movement, free and independent, in which, following widespread discussion, there was a procedure for taking democratic decisions to formulate policy, would be a big advance.

I am arguing for a charter of carers' rights, a campaign for a carers' trade union and a recognition of carers as unwaged care workers, deserving a living wage. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd vote for that!

Dugsie said...

I'm glad to hear it Belle. Who else ?

Anonymous said...

My late father was a staunch union man - wherever I worked he told me to join the union.

You've got my vote Dugsie!

Dugsie said...

Thanks Paula

Please consider joining the campaign planning group on Carer Watch.